Before you get on out on the golf course with your buddies, read these fun trivia questions and answers, as well as some little known facts about the game of golf.
Insight Homes builds the finest Delaware homes right on The Peninsula on the Indian River Bay, so contact them today and join this amazing, exclusive golf community and play the award-winning Jack Nicklaus golf course as much as you want!
Trivia (and Answers)
Q: Bobby Jones won four tournaments in 1930. This accomplishment can be referred to as?
A: Bobby Jones is a legendary golfer who is often considered one of the best and most naturally gifted men to ever pick up a golf club. Known for shaping Augusta National and helping create the Masters, Jones also became the first to win all four majors at the time (U.S. Open, U.S. Amateur, Open Championship, British Amateur) in a single season in 1930, known today as the Grand Slam.
Q: Curtis Strange is renowned for being the first golfer since 1951 to record back-to-back wins in the U.S. Open. Which year did he achieve this record?
A: A very accomplished golfer in his era, American golfer Curtis Strange became the first person in nearly half a century on the PGA Tour to win back-to-back U.S. Open championships in 1988 and 1989. Often considered the hardest of the major tournaments, it is extremely difficult to win in consecutive years. The only other player to accomplish this feat since was Brooks Koepka in 2018, becoming only the seventh player ever to go back-to-back.
Q: Which year did legendary American golfer, Tiger Woods, win his first Masters Tournament?
A: Tiger Woods was a young superstar well before he won his first major tournament at the Masters, but his victory in 1997 at Augusta National skyrocketed a run of golf that had never been seen before. Woods’ accomplishments in golf include a record-tying 18 majors.
Q: In a game of golf, a low hook short, which does not go very far, is known as?
A: A low, short hook shot that doesn’t travel very far is a common scene among beginning golfers and is often referred to as a “duck hook.” Despite many people thinking the word “duck” has to do with the bird (since birds seem to be a theme in golf), it actually refers to the need for others on the course to duck since the ball is going to an area it shouldn’t due to its improper ball flight.
Q: When was the first Masters Tournament played?
A: The Masters is often considered the most famous of all major tournaments, however, it is far from the oldest. In fact, the first Masters wasn’t held until 1934, won by Horton Smith by two strokes. It is the only major tournament played on the same course every year.
1. The origins of golf as we know it dates back to 15th century Scotland, however, some believe there is a connection to a Chinese-developed game as far back as 943 A.D. that was similar in many respects to golf in Scotland.
2. Golf has always been an extremely popular sport in its birth country of Scotland. In fact, the game was banned on three different occasions in Scotland between 1457 and 1502 because it distracted Scots from preparing to defend against English invasion.
3. The game of golf also shares an interstellar milestone that no other sport can claim — it’s been “played” on the moon. U.S. astronaut and Apollo 14 member Alan Shepard hit a golf ball with a 6 iron on Feb. 6, 1971. However, he had to hit it one-handed because of his bulky spacesuit.
4. The longest putt ever made (as far as anyone officially knows) was a massive 375 feet by Fergus Muir on Nov. 6, 2001, at the sprawling shared greens of St. Andrews, a unique opportunity afforded by true links golf.
5. The record for the longest ace ever made has stood for nearly 60 years. In March of 1961, Lou Kretlow scored a hole-in-one on the 427-yard par 4 16th hole at Lake Hefner Golf Course in Oklahoma City.
When it comes to purchasing new homes in Delaware, there isn’t a finer resort community in the entire state or region than The Peninsula on the Indian River Bay. Better yet, Insight Homes is the best home builder in Delaware. Every house is built with only the highest quality, which allows you to live a life of luxury and experience everything the Peninsula has to offer each summer or year-round! To learn more, don’t hesitate to contact Insight Homes today.